August 19, 2015

BUTTERMILK PANCAKES





Flipping through the channels one rainy day, I came across Good Eats.  Alton Brown has a wacky way of explaining the science behind cooking.  He captivated me with his buttermilk pancakes and here we are...  I tweaked it a little and let me tell you, these are the fluffiest melt in your mouth pancakes I have ever tasted.  You'll never go back to the box stuff again!


Dry Ingredients

2 cups AP flour
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Wet Ingredients


 part 1: 4 tbsp melted butter and 2 egg yolks, mixed together

 part 2: 2 cups buttermilk and 2 egg whites, mixed together


Preheat a griddle pan to 325°.  Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Once the griddle is preheated, you can mix parts 1 & 2 of the wet mixture together.  There is a reasoning behind this.  Trust me and just do it!  At this point, I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla to the wet mixture.  Now you may add the wet ingredients to the dry.  Stir until just mixed.  Warning: Do NOT over mix your batter! Unless you want hockey pucks for breakfast.  Add a little shortening or butter to the griddle or pan and ladle the batter in.  Flip when little bubbles begin to appear.  Throw some on your plate with butter and maple syrup.  If you're from Louisiana, a little Steen's works too.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment